May 22, 2008

Meet Charlie

Click on photo to enlarge

Now really,
who could resist this face?
~~~

It is for sure we weren't planning on a semi-puppy and definitely not a male.

So how did this adorable creature arrive in our household, to run races down the hallway, surf the countertops, keep us busy throwing tennis balls, not to mention early morning hikes that last for hours?

We had done the puppy thing years ago when our kids were small and we could toss the whole bunch of them, dog and all, outside to run off their energy.

But now, we had become accustomed to the quiet, gentle manners of our sweet Kayla.

When she returned to Heaven, we cried our eyes out. The house had a strange feeling about it without her sweet face to welcome us home. She was a happy girl with a big smile.


Click on photo to enlarge
Kayla

We knew that a home is not a home without a Golden girl in front of the fireplace or at our feet.

So, we contacted our friend at the Golden Retriever Rescue of Los Angles. She had found Kayla for us years, ago. I asked her to find us a mature girl that could warm our hearts and dry our eyes ... one that was calm and experienced in the manners department, like Kayla.

I spent morning, noon and night on the rescue website looking at all the dogs that needed homes, each one irrestible in their own way, but requiring a particular family. Some needed children, some a swimming pool, (got that right) and some just wanted to spend their days resting on the couch.

Carole told me to be patient, that the right girl would eventually come along.

It was late one night when I clicked the rescue site, again. And there was that face ... a young dog or older puppy, whatever, it's all the same ... and it was a male. I grabbed the phone, called my friend and said, I must see that dog!

Carole said ... but, that's not what you are looking for.

Eight o'clock the next morning we were at the kennel hugging the most adorable big boy I'd ever seen.

Since he was so incredibly handsome and had been found wandering the streets of Los Angeles, I called him the "down and out in Beverly Hills", kid.


Click on photo to enlarge

After signing the official adoption papers, Charlie was on the way home and our new life began. We were about to be owned by another Golden Retriever.

~~~

We were soon off to the dog park ...

Click on photo to enlarge

Charlie carefully looked over
his potential romping friends.

Click on photo to enlarge

And the race was on ...



Click on photo to enlarge.

He enthusiastically gave each new toy
his undivided attention.
~~~
He figured anything went in this household,
considering what the cats did to the chair.

This place was great!

Click on photo to enlarge

Charlie's favorite toy was ...
a Canada goose.

(humm... just like the ones in the
backyard that are just for viewing)


Click on photo to enlarge.

Yep ... Charlie was liking it here!


Click on photo to enlarge.

It felt ... just like home.

~~~

Charlie is a keeper ... he makes us feel young.

I can highly recommend this form of exercise. It keeps you healthy, saves on those membership fees at the gym and it sure makes you happy.

And ... while I'm at it, let me say that nothing warms the heart more than giving a warm hearth to a homeless dog.

Try it! You'll love every minute you look into their eyes. They are always saying ... thank you.

28 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so happy for you! I remember the first time I read your Kayla tribute I sobbed my eyes out. I love Goldens. I dogsat a 12 yr. old one, Jake, for 2 years. He was the biggest yellow ball of love I have ever known. He'd survived cancer and chemo. His hips got him in the end, he just couldn't walk anymore. It was heartbreaking, because his mind was still good. I would love to have a Golden someday! Thanks for sharing Charlie with us and keep us posted on all his adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finding Charlie! He is a beautiful Golden and looks like he is very happy in his new home. I'm sure he fills your heart with happiness. We have had a few Golden's over the years and they are terrific. My son and his wife have one now,Jackson, he is one of the most energetic and fun dogs I have ever met. I love their smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love! How lucky for Charlie that you found him. He looks soooo happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie looks like a real character, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with him. My dog is a rescue too, I got him at 8 months old and he's turned into a really great companion - you're right, taking in a homeless dog has a lot of rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a charmer all right! I'm so thrilled that you found Charlie - and I'm sure that he's thrilled that he found you too! I have posted the URL to the post I did on our rescue girl - Holly.

    I hope April and May and Royal enjoy having that big guy around. Looking forward to reading more about his adventures with you at your lovely home.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm glad you have found happiness after Kayla. He certainly looks like he'll keep you on your toes for a long, long time:) And he obviously loves his new home with his new mum and dad!

    Seeing him playing in the park makes me excited to eventually find and move to a new house somewhere near a park or even a field where I can take Bonnie, our Collie cross, out to play. She also loves tennis balls. Shelly and Tara (the Patterdale terrier and alsatian) are older and don't like toys. Shelly used to but she didn't want to play with them...she thought of them as her babies and wanted to lick them and take care of them!
    My sister has a Black Labrador cross Springer Spaniel (some would call her a "Springador") called Maggie. She is such a lovely dog and is the same age as Bonnie. She also loves tennis balls, squeaky toys, sticks...she has a pink ball that we call her dummy (or pacifier) because when she has it in her mouth, it keeps her quiet and she walks around with it in her mouth.

    I love Golden Retrievers and Labradors. Funnily enough, I recently said to mum about possibly getting one whenever I move out into a place of my own. Congratulations on finding such a beautiful bouncing boy!

    All the best, from Meg and cats xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful to read; Charlie is great and must be very happy, too.

    Our girl passed over a year ago, and we're "kind of" looking - looking for that same look in the eye and the same manner. While I love all dogs - and they're all deserving - it's going to be a similar situation as you: when you least expect it, and not the one you were expecting! :-D

    Best....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely adoption story; you were meant to be together.
    Thank your for your kind words on my blog today. I imagine Cantua would grow fabulously where you live (Southern CA). They can grow to be very old and tree like with thick trunks.
    You have a poetic style of writing, here on your blog, and on your horse blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww-he is so handsome. There is just something so amazing about the connection that tells us that is the animal for us.
    I picked my border collie/blue heeler cross and he has repaid me by becoming a momma's boy to the core.
    A friend gave us the red heeler because his owner was going to shoot him. I only took him to find him a good home(guess he figured my house was good enough-LOL). Now, I wouldn't give that dog up for love or money.
    So happy for you that you found one that brings you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that brought a lump to my throat. What a lovely post and a thoroughly handsome fella. He's a lucky boy to have found you

    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kayla does look like she is always smiling in your photos.
    And I can see why you were taken in with charlies sweet face!
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty boy. Congrats on the new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that you found Charlie. He sounds like a perfect fit. Funny how the perfect fit can end up being something different than we first thought. I'm glad that you recognized it when you saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudos to you for finding Charlie. So many lovely dogs don't find homes. Good luck with him, he certainly is a handsome boy! I hope the best for the entire family for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! He is such a handsome fellow and it looks like he'll be healing your heart in no time. I'm so happy for you! ...And I've re-awarded you because I am just being perfectly honest about who's blogs I love and yours is one. :D And you never did say, "No tag backs." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kayla was beautiful and it looks like Charlie is just as good looking. He looks totally content. There is nothing like the love of a dog!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh hurray!!!!! Another Golden has found its forever home! He really IS a handsome guy, isn't he?!?! Wow! I can't wait to get to know him as he gets featured here on your blog.

    Hugs,
    Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, what a cute Charlie! We going to adopt a puppy probably in July, after our trip to DC.

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely,cute charlie..i wish i had a dog..i wanted to adopt on..but my hubby doesnt like the idea..maybe..ill show him your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! He's a gorgeous boy, and looks like he's already made himself at home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh that is such a good story with a happy ending :) He is beautiful and I'm so glad you got him from a rescue. Just beautiful!!
    Would Charlie like a playmate? How about a mixed breed pup found tied by the side of the road last weekend? I'm desperately trying to find homes!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how happy I am for you all. (And that includes Charlie and the geese and the kitties and....)
    He is so beautiful. I have thought about you and Kayla so often...and giving your heart to another, especially one tat so desperately needed a home, well, it is wonderful.
    Our Kipper healed my heart that had been broken by losing my cat Hannah.
    The new baby cannot replace the other but they fill a void and bring smiles back into our homes.
    I can not imagine a home without fur babies...and feather babies...and...: )

    I am on love with Charlie's face...please give him lots of smooches and hugs from us.

    Love to you all.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also wanted to say how I loved seeing the work on Royal's palace! What a sweet guy...he just stays so calm and serene, befitting his title.

    Love to you all....smooches and hugs to Royal as well...are he and Charlie friends now?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey I've just noticed you put a link to one of my blogs, MulesUK, thats really kind..... can I be picky though?!! I live in Scotland so "Mules in England" is not a great title - LOL I guess its like asking an American if they are from Canada. Love the dog!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. This is an impressive post. I have had dogs since I was born 73 years ago and all of them broke my heart when they passed on. The last one, Autumn Eve, left here on September 11, 2006. And we still miss her but at our ages my wife says we don't need another dog. So we dog set now and then for one of our daughters. It works for the dog, for them and for me.

    Your dogs are so special to look at. Nice photography.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,

    I came on your blog trough Lynne´s blog ( the 3 dog mom) and I saw all the pictures of the dogs and geese and chickens and ofcourse the horses. Being a Frysian girl myself, ofcourse I love the Frysian horse. But most of all I love the story off Charlie. What a lovely dog he is. Being a Golden mom myself I know how they can be LOL.
    Thanks for sharing all your lovely stories about the lovely animals you have on the farm.

    Alette
    www.letje.web-log.nl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Charlie looks adorable and is probably really excited to have found such a wonderful new home. We got our dog Barkley from an animal shelter several years back, but the funny thing was that we were initially visiting with a cat in mind. Sometimes, you just know when you've found the right companion, even if they are not what you originally expected.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found your blog on BrownEyed Cowgirls blog and thought I'd drop by and say hi. We have 2 rescue dogs(19 years old and 5 years old) and I think a rescue dog knows it's getting a second chance at life, which is why my family members are big advocates for rescue.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to write. I appreciate your stopping by and do love hearing from you. Even though I cannot always reply to each comment, I enjoy reading them.

If you would like to leave a comment and do not have a google/blogger account, you're welcome to leave an anonymous comment.

I hope you enjoy visiting our little farm and meeting all our critters. We greatly enjoyed having you here.