October 23, 2007

FIRES! Safe, So Far, But Surrounded

UPDATES - BELOW

Volunteer horse people with their horse trailers
have been driving into the canyons searching on ranches
and in pasture for horses needing to be rescued.


The frustration has been with the owners that will not leave
their homes and the horse trailers are turned away.

Now, those areas are under severe risk,
and the horse trailers are returning
in the hopes to get in to rescue their horses.

The fires are covering Los Angeles to San Diego.

At the moment, the race tracks, fair grounds
and nearly all equestrian centers are filled
to capacity with rescued horses
with more truck loads of horses on the way.


We are all working together to locate private equestrian
residences with empty stalls or barns.


At our farm, we have an empty foaling stall
and turn-out areas and have made those available.

We feel so fortunate to be safe.

UPDATE - WEDNESDAY

Yesterday, the horses were being gathered from horse ranches
and residences that were in the direct line of fire.
Most of those homes are gone now.

There were also horses in pasture in the fire areas
that were rounded up and taken to safety.

Today, we are on watch for other horse communities
that are now in line of fire.

And ...we are finally getting Federal help with more
airplane coverage to drop water on the raging fires.
(why did that take 3 days to get?)

That gives us hope that the fires will no longer
be burning out of control.
Also, the tremendous winds have calmed down.

Presently, we are all on stand-by, except for the
wonderful volunteers that are now caring for the rescued horses,
while their owners are trying to put their lives back together.

If anything good has come from this ... it is that we are
forming an Equine Emergency Central for our area
that will have information for all horse people.

However, we know that rounding up trailers and
going to the emergency sites ... just in case,
will still be the procedure.

Yesterday, people took their trucks to equestrian centers
and took trailers that were parked there.
That is how desperate the situation was.


In the future, we will also have lists of rescue sites
that will be prepared to take the horses,
so we don't have to go begging for places to put
the trailered horses in situations such as this.

Cheers to all the bold and brave people that
just grabbed halters and lead lines, jumped into
their trucks and took off to gather horses at risk.

We worked the telephones for places to put the horses.
Today, we hope the phones are quiet.

UPDATE FRIDAY

Happy to say that things are quieter, now.
We've had a great turnout of volunteers
to care for the rescued horses.

Owners are now coming to the hold-up locations
to care for and be with their horses
until they can return home.

Other horses will stay at the centers
until they have new barns built.

This entire ordeal has made us all aware
of how many wonderful horses
and horse people there are in this world.

It has also been amazing to see people
come forward that are not experienced with horses,
but have been willing to offer their help.
They have been great at keeping water buckets filled and
giving lots of attention to the horses.

This tragedy has brought many people together
that will remain friends.

There are countless stories to be told.

We all remain grateful for the amazing bravery
and dedication of the horse community,
who jumped into action in the middle of chaos
to save the lives of countless horses at risk.

~~~

This link is about our part of the rescue.
RESCUE

~~~~~

Horses Rescued ~ Scenes To Remember

The Aftermath - Horses Waiting For Owners

So many thanks for your comments!
It kept us going.
It's great to know how many people care!

We are all a community ...
no matter where we are located.

15 comments:

  1. You take good care of yourself. The place I grew up is on fire I read...That is so weird to think about.

    God Keep you Safe!! Prayers going up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about you...please know I care so much. We used to live in San Diego and saw many a fire but this is horrendous. I will keep your in my heart and thoughts. Especially all your beloved pets...

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are just incredible.

    I can't imagine trying to rescue horses in all of this. Are they horses that have just been turned loose (which is what they recommend, believe it or not) or are they going to designated farms and getting them.

    It is so very sad. I wish there was something we could do from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you for your caring thoughts.

    We're still working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see your update. Bless the people who care...I shiver when I think of those beauties in danger.

    Stay well and safe...you are in my thoughts.

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive been following the fires and also passing along my equine rescue groups info.

    Ive been thinking about you and hoping like heck y'all arent in any danger of the fires.

    Stay safe. My heart and thoughts are with you......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking for a good update from the horse angle and was glad to find your blog through Kimberly at I Gallop On.

    Terrible situation. It's almost incomprehensible. Sounds like it is bringing out the best in the horse community. I worry about any horses with respiratory problems -- people, too.

    We're praying for you all. Take care of yourself. And thanks for helping us better understand.

    Is there anything we can do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What terrifying pictures these are, it has been on the news in UK of course but your photos give a much more immediate reality to everything. I admire you and all the other courageous people rescuing horses so much. You have done a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your posting and amazing efforts! I have reposted it in my recent bulletin re: fire updates, relief and animal evacuations.

    Please check out my blog for recent animal portrait information.

    If you have myspace, I have my shop set up there too...
    www.myspace.com/erikaanimalportraits

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading in 2003 that folks were painting phone # on their horses backs and turning them loose--hoping they would find a safe place to be and that if they got lost someone would phone them when the terror had past. Good Lord I can't image the desperation. My heart goes out to you all, victims and helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvel--Thank you so much for the update. I have been googling and trying to find out about the horse situation down there. My horse came from a ranch in Corona, CA and I know that is not close to the fires, but I know how many people have horses and huge ranches down there. Firefighters up here in Oregon told me that people were just turning horses loose. Not sure if that is true. Stay safe---our thoughts are with you and all the people down there going thru this terrible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I simply don't know what to say ! I can't believe what's happening over there ! I wish I could help but how ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely unfathomable. Are those your photos? As Mikaela said, incredible.

    Someone posted to the mustang list that there's an opportunity for hay, 48,000 bales. I've emailed to see if she's got paypal set up for this and will let everyone know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so relieved that things are better. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been on my mind this past week and I'm so glad to find out that you and your animals are safe and have helped to make sure that other horses are safe as well. Our prayers are with you all. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to write. I appreciate your stopping by and do love hearing from you. Even though I cannot always reply to each comment, I enjoy reading them.

If you would like to leave a comment and do not have a google/blogger account, you're welcome to leave an anonymous comment.

I hope you enjoy visiting our little farm and meeting all our critters. We greatly enjoyed having you here.